Thursday, January 16, 2014

Oscar Time Again...


The Oscar nominations were revealed this week. I can't really comment much on the choices, other than to note that award nominations are truly the result of politicking, networking, and how culturally aware the academy of nominating members actually are. I think awards involve an interesting process, but it's not always completely balanced or inclusive. I don't see how one body can possibly pay tribute to all of the worthy films that get released in the course of a year.

Glad to see noms for 12 Years A Slave, including the key actors, director, writing and editing. Also recognition for first-timer Barkhad Abdi, who appears in Captain Phillips. And of course the documentary 20 Feet From Stardom, featuring some ladies whose voices have helped make pop music what it is (I've been fortunate to meet Lisa Fischer, Tata Vega, and Janice Pendarvis during the course of my music biz career.)

Certainly I am disappointed that The Butler did not receive any recognition for its actors, writer, and director. I thought the film was a fascinating pageant of American history, with beautiful performances from the principals (though some of the cameo players portraying the occupants of the White House were a bit strange). It served as a visual reminder of how far the country has come in its treatment of African Americans, over such a long period of time. We may not be where we should be in terms of racial politics, but thank God we're not where we were. And the character of the Butler, whose mission it is to serve in the most perfect way he can, is an example of someone trying to bloom where they are planted, to invest with dignity and integrity a position that some might have seen as undignified and servile.

I would have been gratified to see those involved with Fruitvale Station get recognized. This wonderful small film showed us a day in the life of a good brother with a good heart, whose path was abruptly ended for no good reason. This was a little gem, with naturalistic performances from all, so it's sad that at Oscar time it was eclipsed and overlooked.

2013 was an up and down year for me, so I didn't get to the theater as often as a movie fanatic like me really should. I haven't seen all of the nominated pictures. And therefore I am reserving judgment. When the March 2nd Academy Awards telecast rolls around I will arm myself with popcorn and martinis, dish on what the nominees wear on the red carpet, and prepare to see how things shake out.

Here's the main nominees list: http://oscar.go.com/mypicks

No comments:

Post a Comment